Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Summer Highlights

Family Vacation at Lake Sissabagama Early June
I enjoyed the ride up with Mom and Dad on Saturday so I could soak up the prime fishing and relaxation of the first 24 hours of the week. Thanks to a few snow make-up days, I had to work the Monday of our trip, but I returned late Monday night. Some thought I was crazy for taking on the extra driving, but for me, this trip is my favorite time of year--easily better than any holiday.

Something happens to me there; looking out over the lake, walking down the winding road to the cranberry bogs, soaking my toes at the end of the dock, quiet canoe trips on the calm waters, random conversations in the boat, the wind in my hair as we cruise across the lake and then breathing it all in as my only responsibility is concentrating on the little tugs I feel on my line so I know exactly when to set the hook. The bass, the pike and all of the pan fish in between were memorable (especially when Jake or Caleb caught them), and of course, tasty! Pete even trusts me to fillet the big fish now--I may take a while, but I aim for No Meat Left Behind. Unless there was rain, each night closed with chats and/or snacks around a campfire, looking out over the water. I adored sleeping on Mom and Dad's closed in porch, 12 feet off the water...being lulled to sleep by the lapping waves and the wind in the pines. The only thing better was being persuaded by my nephews to stay in their cabin.

Our tradition started years ago when they were too young to be left alone, and I'd stay over so Pete could go out on the first early morning Muskie run. Now they're old enough to handle it without me, but old habits are hard to break. We have a tradition of piling on their twin beds (shoved together, and taking turns sleeping on the crack) and staying up late, snickering over bodily noises (on their part, of course) and re-telling funny stories and memories of past vacations. Each year I'm afraid they'll be too old for such silliness, so I've learned to cherish each late-night invite, as if it's our last.

And finally, Caleb became this summer's lure-making-master of bass fishing. I was honored to receive one of the first edition lures, and am proud to say it rallied an eager, young bass on the edge of Hathaway Bay. It was also extra special because I reeled it in Friday night, right before Pete and I pulled his new Lund off the water. There's nothing like catching the last fish of the trip.

Ahh, but there's more memories to be made...next July's trip can't come soon enough.

No comments: