Friday, August 10, 2007

Fun Mail

I don't look at mail the same anymore.
Too many bills and political pamphlets have spoiled the run-and-get-the-mail game. What ever happened to that excitement I had running out to the mailbox as a child? I mean, how often did I really even get mail back then, anyway? Even so, I'd skip out to the mailbox on Cavendish, day after day. Now it's just no-fun mail.

But then tonight...I felt that old familiar flutter in my stomach as I pulled into my driveway, spying something boxy leaning against my front step. I accelerated to pull the car in the garage (narrowly avoiding kissing the door jamb with my side mirror) a.s.a.p. so I could hurry up and gather said surprise.
I was on my cell phone, and unfortunately for my friend, quite distracted. I rushed to unlock the front door so I could retrieve the package.
Wow, I bet it has been here since the mail came this morning.
"Yeah, mm-hmm."
It's been waiting here all day for me.
"Oh, really?"
Hmmm. Heavier than I thought.
What is it?
Who's it from?
Awww.
To: Aunt Pammy
From: Tiny E

I melted right there at the door.
Oh, right, I'm on the phone.
I tried to listen.
Be attentive. You can open it as soon as you're done.
Waiting. Predicting.
It's heavier than the charger I left behind.
Pay attention.
I can't wait.
My friend let me off the hook once I read the To/From aloud to her.
"Well, what's in the package?"
Rrrrrip.
"Aww. My Tiny E. knows what I love."
And, there, lovingly sandwiched along my phone charger, was my favorite Trader Joe's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup and T.J.'s sandwich-completing Hot & Sweet Mustard.

Mmmm. Hope I can wait until tomorrow to crack into it. Lunch will be good! Then again, maybe a sandwich for breakfast would be acceptable...

No comments: