Saturday, August 11, 2007

Summer Highlights part 2

Denver, Colorado Late June

For years, my next-door-neighbor, Jodie, and I have considered traveling together to visit our respective friends in Denver. With my school year and Master's behind me and a seemingly endless summer ahead, we decided that this was our year. While we were considering the 12 hour drive and what that means for gas money these days, a mutual friend suggested that we take the train. Brilliant idea. We planned to travel overnight, sleep on the train and arrive bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in Denver the next morning.

Well, it was almost that, and definitely worth the adventure, but there was a little less peace and quiet for sleeping than I had imagined. And the rocking certainly made using the restroom an adventure. It was not like what I had seen in the movies, but it did deliver us safely to the lovely Union Station in downtown Denver. While we waited for our rides, I bid farewell to my neighbor there at the station and promised to meet her in that same spot the following Sunday at 8p.m. It felt kind of strange when she left with her friends, but I didn't want to admit it. I mean, I'm 32 years old. I can handle myself in the big city, right? My ride came soon after.

It was an eventful week with Tammi, Todd and their little man Jack. I had the pleasure of walking through their dailies along side of them, learning what their lives are like now, with a little baby around. Tam was my pacer a few years back when we hiked the Grand Canyon from rim to rim. I'm not sure why--maybe it's the travel memories, but I somehow feel more adventurous when I'm around her. I also love being with her because it's a reminder of all we've accomplished together, as youth leaders and friends, and also how much we've grown over the years.

On this trip, Tam and I also enjoyed some beautiful hikes and we were even able to take Jack on his first trek into the mountains. Although he fell asleep on our way back down the trail, I could tell that he's going to grow into an adventurer, like his mom. After our hike around Dillon that afternoon, we stopped off at an outlet mall for a little retail therapy. We were resting on a bench outside, feeding Jack, people watching and enjoying the view of the mountains when I thought, Wow--that lady looks just like my neighbor, Jodie! At that moment, Jodie looked over at me and we screeeeamed. Poor Jack. We really scared him, but oh, my gosh! That is my neighbor! I don't even see her at the grocery store on the next block, and I see her in this town outside of Denver...what are the chances?! We quickly introduced our Denver friends to each other, then carried on with the shopping, and soon, our separate vacations.

I realized something that day: Jodie is a lot more than my neighbor. Seeing Jodie was like seeing a family member. I was immediately all relaxed and re-energized at the same time. She knows all of the good and bad stuff
, and still chats with me over the fence or across the couch. Whether it's work stress or recent date highlights, she's one of my biggest cheerleaders. I'm still not exactly sure when she shifted from my next-door-neighbor to my friend, but I'm so thankful that God led me to buy a house next door to her.
I am so blessed to have great friends, both far and near. But, I probably shouldn't need to go shopping outside of Denver to realize that.

No comments: