Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Night I Sang in a Bar

Last weekend, some girlfriends and I went to a cozy little bar called R.G. Books. It's a classy place...tablecloths, leather sofas, full bookshelves lining the walls. This particular night they even had some live music--a talented guitarist with even better vocals. Anyone who can pull off Frank Sinatra and Ben Harper has my respect. So, I was enjoying a few with my friends, when I put in a request for a little KT Tunstall. He said he was too hoarse and couldn't do it justice, but that I could try it. Without thinking too much (and some additional coaxing from my entourage), I was up holding the mike. Suddenly conversations faded, and it was frighteningly hushed before I eased out the first line. By the chorus, I had caught my stride. I felt a surge of confidence when I glimpsed the surprised look on the guitarist's face. He caught me looking, we made eye-contact and he started singing back up for me. I'm sure the adrenaline was pumping, but I was shocked by how at ease I became. The only thing more surprising was when the crowd clapped and cheered so enthusiastically. My friends were encouraging as I settled back in with them, and the evening continued as relaxed as it began. I enjoyed more girl-talk and people watching before he nodded for me to join him for one more song.

I still had a smile on my face as I slipped into bed. One more event I never thought I could do has been checked off my list. Who knows what unexpected adventure this next week will bring...

No comments: