Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring Break Adventures of '07

Spring Break 2007 kicked off with an abnormal amount of basketball viewing. I thoroughly enjoyed watching 2 of my former first graders hoist up the trophy and celebrate their win at the High School Boys Basketball State Championship. I'm sure if I would have caught the unedited TV news interviews, I would have heard them thanking their first grade teacher for shooting hoops with them during recess 9 years ago. Instead, I settled for memories of days when they were much smaller than I, sitting in our miniscule, orange chairs around the reading table.

Next, I enjoyed a few days of much needed walks and lunches, catching up with friends. Mid-week, Gina, Tate & I set off on a 72 hour adventure to The Windy City. Having them along certainly livened up the drive, then we went our separate ways once we hit Naperville--she, to her sister's, and me, a visit with friends. It was a whirlwind of dining and shopping, so fun was certainly had by my ATM card. If I had to pick, the evening out with 2 of my college roommates was the city's highlight.

Chicago was great, but tonight, I must also sing the praises of my fine city because I just had one of the most perfect days.
While the grass often looks greener in someone else's state, tonight I am thankful to have mine. I love having so many genuine, intelligent and hilarious friends with whom to journey. While we may not be widely known as a community that oozes cultural opportunities, tonight was one of definite fun, with, at least, the hint of them. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner at Biaggi's, then were off to the Theatre to hear the Symphony and Concert Chorale and cheer on Danette.

This evening's highlights:
the first taste of a bottle of Malbec, and the glasses that followed
the ambiance at Biaggi's (my favorite Italian restaurant)
my friends: Adele, Danette and Nan
our knowledgeable (and ruggedly handsome) waiter, Adam
my meal: Lobster and Shrimp Stuffed Trigger Fish with Steamed Vegetables
the laughter
the dessert
the real cappuccino
the season-ticket-holding woman next to me, nodding off and almost snoring during the Symphony
the fact that I did not break out into an uncontrollable giggling fit...this time (different story)

So, here's the cultural run-down:
wine- can't remember where it was made, but I'm pretty sure that it counts as culture #1
Biaggi's Italian (#2) Restaurant
Adele-from South Africa #3, returning to Kenya in a few weeks #4
the few words we exchanged in Swahili #5
Nan-is part Swedish, too #I'm kidding
Cantique de Jean Racine, Op.. 11, the second song, sung in French #6
Adam-#again, kidding...I just thought he was worth mentioning again.
...sung in Latin #7
...sung in another language #8
You get the idea.

I am so blessed to have friends that make every day events and special occasions equally adventurous. And often times, hilarious.

No comments: